With over 40 years of experience, NES is the most qualified ecological firm in northeast Wisconsin with the expertise to provide the best ecological services. Please click on a service listed below to learn more.
Natural Resource Consulting
Native Habitat Restoration
NES SAVES YOU TIME & MONEY
Our Senior Ecologist, James Havel, is an Assured Wetland Delineator with the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (WDNR). Wetland delineations conducted by Mr. Havel do not require concurrence by the WDNR.
Benefits to our clients include:
- Time saving through elimination of 60 day WDNR concurrence review period
- Cost saving through elimination of $300/20 acre concurrence review fee
- High level of confidence of wetland boundary accuracy for planning purposes
Delineators are assured based on their level of education, training, experience and work quality. Delineators that become assured are required to abide by the program’s code of ethics, submit their wetland reports to the WDNR for a random review, and meet the program’s continuing education requirements.
In addition to our ability to make the wetland delineation process faster and less expensive, we can also assist you in permitting your project. NES can perform all the necessary requirements for general and individual permit applications including Functional Values Assessments, Alternatives Analyses and Mitigation.
NES SITES, DESIGNS, IMPLEMENTS AND MONITORS WETLAND MITIGATION AREAS
NES can assist in the development of wetland mitigation banks. From siting the project to monitoring the results, we can work with you through the entire process, ensuring a successful and sustainable mitigation bank.
Our experienced wetland staff offers the following services:
- WDNR Assured Wetland Determinations
- WDNR Assured Wetland Boundary Delineations
- Permit Application Preparation
- Functions & Values Assessment
- Impact & Alternatives Analysis
- Mitigation Site Assessment, Planning and Design
- Mitigation Site Preparation and Installation
- Mitigation Site Monitoring and Maintenance
- Hydric Soil Identification
- Wetland Community Monitoring
- Hydrologic Monitoring Studies
- Wetland Creation/Enhancement
- GPS/GIS Data Collection & Management
- Stream navigability determinations
Native Habitat Restoration Services
NES has provided native habitat planting and restoration services to municipalities, lake management districts and associations, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and individual landowners. These services have ranged from simply designing the restoration areas to implementing their installation and maintenance.
Each restoration project is catered to the individual or group based on their need, experience, and willingness to be involved with the “hands-on” portion of the project. The use of volunteer labor is especially important when public lands are being restored and when state-sponsored funds are being used. NES has a great deal of experience organizing and successfully completing these types of projects.
Aesthetically Pleasing, Natural Landscapes
NES ecologists use their knowledge and experience with Wisconsin’s native community types to design aesthetically pleasing, natural landscapes utilizing only plant species native to the site’s region. The use of locally native species is a very important factor that is often overlooked, but is very important in not only assuring the project’s success, but also in meeting all the objectives of a restoration. Our native plantings and restorations are designed to meet five goals:
- Provide an aesthetically pleasing landscape,
- Reduce long-term maintenance costs associated with traditional landscapes,
- Replace valuable wildlife habitat,
- Increase local plant diversity through the establishment of pre-settlement vegetation communities (where possible),
- Restore the land’s capabilities to stabilize the soils and recharge the groundwater.
These goals are best met when species native to the immediate area are used in the restoration.
We also provide a wide range of other services, including:
- Native Community Inventories
- Vegetation Surveys
- Ecological Site Assessments
- Restoration & Planting Plans
- Construction Oversight
- Site Preparation
- Shoreline Restoration
- Tree, Shrub, Plant & Seed Installation
- Monitoring & Maintenance Services
- Invasive & Exotic Species Control
- Grant Writing
- Volunteer Organization & Training
- Educational Presentations
Natural Resource Consulting
In addition to our Wetland, Native Habitat Restoration and Erosion Control services, NES provides general natural resource consulting.
Our ecologists have experience in the following specialties:
- Aquatic insects / invertebrates
NES Ecological Services is proud to offer several other services, including:
- FERC Re-licensing
- Non-metallic mine permitting and reclamation, non-metallic mine reclamation permits
- Wildlife management
- Vegetation and tree inventories
- Forest management and timber stand improvement
- Environmental impact studies and assessments
NES ecologists have a combined 20 years of experience in the design, installation and monitoring of erosion control materials. NES has been involved in a variety of projects from large utility projects that require significant amounts of erosion control over many miles of right-of-way, to small residential projects controlling erosion from storm water run-off.
NES also has close relationships with erosion control material providers and is able to secure materials at a reduced cost to our clients.